25: Is the Mahabharatha written from the Pandavas' point of view?

Advertisement

Bharathi199

A common idea is that the Mahabharatha is written with great partiality to the pandavas. This is definitely not true and Vyasa makes sure to mention the good deeds and courage of ALL characters. The most obvious thing that tells us that the story is not at all written from the Pandava point of view is the war chapters.
As we all know, the war forms the heart of the Mahabharatha. And every war chapter is named after a KAURAVA general.

Why is this so?? Simple. Because we see the entire war through Sanjaya's eyes. Sanjaya is not only a close friend of Dhirtarashtra's but ALSO a warrior from the Kaurava side.

We think that Sanjaya remained in Hastinapur and saw the war through divine visions granted by Vyasa. Yes, Vyasa gave him the power to see what was happening in every section of the battlefield, to know what everyone thought and said. BUT, the MB also mentions Sanjaya fighting in the war with the kaurava soldiers in many, many places.

After the death of each general (Bhishma, Drona, Karna etc), Sanjaya comes back to Hastinapur and tells Dhritrasthra about it and how it happened.
For example:

1) Vaisampayana said,--"Possessing a knowledge of the past, the present and the future, and seeing all things as if present before his eyes, the learned son of Gavalgana (Sanjaya), O Bharata, coming quickly from the field of battle, and rushing with grief (into the court) represented unto Dhritarashtra who was
plunged in thought that Bhishma the grandsire of the Bharatas had been slain."
"Sanjaya said,--'I am Sanjaya, O great king. I bow to thee, O bull of Bharata's race. Bhishma, the son of Santanu and the grandsire of the Bharatas, hath been slain....

2) Sanjaya said, '..... Ourselves also, placing Drona, that foremost of all wielders of weapons, at our head, covered the Parthas, gathered by Prishata's son, with our shafts. ....... I myself, with my own troops, cased in mail and equipped with weapons, and supported by four hundred foremost of bowmen, resisted Chekitana.

3) Vaishampayana said, "After Drona had been slain, O monarch, the royal warriors (of the Kaurava army) headed by Duryodhana, with hearts filled with great anxiety, all repaired to Drona's son........Then Sanjaya, repairing to Hastinapura told Dhritarashtra all that had happened at Kurujangala."

4) "Sanjaya said, "... Dhrishtadyumna, seeing me, laughingly addressed Satyaki, saying, 'What is the use of seizing this one? Nothing will be gained by keeping him alive.' Just at that juncture, the Island-born Krishna of great wisdom (Vyasa), coming there, said, "Let Sanjaya be dismissed alive! By no means should he be slain!" Hearing these words of the Island-born, the grandson of Sini, joined his hands, and then, setting me free said unto me, "Peace to thee, O Sanjaya, thou mayest go hence!" Permitted by him, I myself then, putting off my armour and making over my weapons, set out on the evening on the road leading to the city, my limbs bathed in blood. After I had come about two miles, O monarch, I beheld Duryodhana, standing alone, mace in hand, and exceedingly mangled.

The whole of the war is told to us through the eyes of a warrior who fought AGAINST the Pandavas. If anything, these chapters are told from the Kaurava point of view, not the Pandava.

Advertisement

Unleash It Here....

Dear Writers, இத்தளத்தில் எழுத விரும்புகிறவர்கள் , [email protected] என்ற மின்னஞ்சலில் தொடர்பு கொள்ளவும்.

New Episodes

Back